Jan 24, 2010

Super!


Oh. my. God.
This city has gone absolutely insane.
The fireworks are popping right now and there's one long sustained scream of joy from everywhere I can hear.

So happy!

Here's my favorite quote from the Times Picayune about the state of the city currently:


"Chris Owens*, who never ever cancels a show, has canceled her show Sunday evening so she can watch the New Orleans Saints battle the Minnesota Vikings for the NFC Championship.

Owens will watch the game from the comfort of her French Quarter home, said backup singer Ernestine Moses, who couldn't manage to get the evening off. She is bartending because Owens opened her showroom for fans to watch the game.

At Big Daddy's strip club, Sandy Dalon was working the door, enticing customers to come inside. She said that although the game will not be broadcast inside the club, each dancer is wearing a Saints jersey which, of course, they will take off."
* Legendary 300 year old New Orleans showgirl extraordinaire

read the rest here

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hear the fireworks over here too. And I'm not ashamed to admit (after 4 glasses of wine) that I opened the front door and let out a WhaHoooo! In spite of my usual reserved self (and I didn't think I had a Football gene in my body).

BrooksNYC said...

AWWRITE!!!

ayeM8y said...

I'm happy too!

Supa Bowl!

Mr. Bluehaunt said...

I know I am missing something here....and it is sports related, right?

Muscato said...

Have to say that I'm with Mr. B.

Football is the outdoor one with the big guys, right, not the indoor one with the tall ones?

That said, anything that causes citywide rejoicing can't be bad. Although I don't approve of showgirls, however senior, taking nights off. Other things, yes, of course; but a girl oughtta work...

Jill said...

I'm a huge football fan...watched the game, thought of you!

Philip Mershon said...

Starting last night and continuing through the end of the month, I am officially and happily a Saints Fan!

The game was amazing, and I really hope they take it all.

Silly Monkey said...

I didn't have to watch to know that they'd won. Fireworks. Cars blowing their horns. Neighbors screaming. It was insane.

Miss Janey said...

Miss J was thinking of Jason yesterday when the Saints won. No car tipped over nearby, she hopes.

Kim Hambric said...

Even up north, we are happy for those Saints.

Very amused about the elderly Chris Owens. I remember riding in a cab in New Orleans about 10-11 years ago. Chris Owens crossed the street in front of us and waved at the cabbie. He asked us how old we thought she was. My hubby said 60 or 70 at least.

I'm wondering if she shouldn't have been pictured in that post with Jesus and the dinosaur.

Julie said...

I want that figurine!!

Marshall said...

My co-worker Pat told me this morning that last night in Chalmette, bullets were flying more than fireworks. Alas.

mrpeenee said...

Considering Chris hadn't had a night off since the Union troops entered the city, I'd say she deserved it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Great idea, but will this really work?