Jan 25, 2008

Howcha do, howcha do, howcha do

A mid-sixties show about a broke divorced society doyenne living with her daughter in a Hamptons mansion?

No, it's not "Grey Gardens," the sitcom, it's the forgotten Phyllis Diller vehicle: "The Pruitts of Southampton."

I'd never even heard of this until today, (by way of Lady Bunny), but I'd love to see it! "The Lucy Show" and "The Beverly Hillbillies" seemed to be front and center in the writers' minds, but who cares.

I mean who doesn't love Phyllis Diller?
And, most intriguingly of all, Gypsy Rose Lee plays a "nosey" neighbor. God, I'd kill to see that. (By the way the exteriors were filmed at the Biltmore house, the Vanderbilt mansion in NC. I remember going there when I was 13.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.)

Alas, all I could find was the intro:



You have to admit that's one hell of a catchy theme song,
and those outfits!

Let's see Nicolas Ghesquiere do some of that.

5 comments:

Thombeau said...

Oh my, was this for real?

I LOVE IT!!!

JB said...

Oh my! How fabulous!

Silly Monkey said...

I've got six months to hunt down an episode on tape for your birthday. ;)

CranioBrian said...

How FANTASTIC is this?!?!?!

I need to see more!

Elizabeth said...

Gypsy Rose Lee as the nosey neighbor? Oh my God! If you find an episode, you have to find a way to share it with us!!!!!