Jul 19, 2009

wacky packages


Back when I was a kid, on summer afternoons when my mother was boring me with her droning soap operas, I would take a walk. Even the blinding heat was better than "The Guiding Light".
I'd walk all the up the street...up to the corner...through the back side of a now destroyed apartment complex...past the huge rumbling industrial washateria...along the drainage ditch...(looking for turtles and crawfish, sometimes catching a few)... avoiding the nutria and snakes....carefully pulling myself up where there was a hole near the concrete embankment (snakes there)...up and across the busy highway bridge...back down into the ditch side...off through the parking lot...and finally into the air conditioned convenience store.

I was in hot pursuit of Munchos, Slim Jims, Ding Dongs, yo-yos, Pop Rocks....and these:
Wacky Packages. They were stickers that came courtesy of gum. The gum, needless to say, was an afterthought. These are what I have left, found the other day in my childhood closet.
Pardon the flash.

The humor is rather lost on me today, I'm afraid, though I remember being endlessly amused by that "Scary Lee" package. Now I (we all?) live in a world that seems absolutely smothered in sarcasm.
But way back then, even sarcasm seemed somehow naive, you know?

11 comments:

ayeM8y said...

My favorites were, "Clamay", and "Oil of Old Lady", my Tote-Sum convenience store experience also included buying the latest Vampirella comic.

Jill said...

Your right...snark/sarcasm is beginning to get on my nerves. It just seems like people are trying so hard.

I used to love pop rocks and Bit-O-Honey. Thanks for the memory lane.

ayeM8y said...

Snarkasm. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Bigg said...

I loved these when I was a kid. How cool that you got to keep them.

Elizabeth said...

These remind me a lot of Mad Magazine humor, which was SO incredibly popular and influential back in the day. I've looked at old Mad mags and it's hard, now, to see what was so astonishingly funny about them. But I guess it was making fun of the establishment - which these stickers do as well.

Ur-spo said...

OMG!!!
I have not thought of these in decades !!
My friends and I collected them all - I remember nearly all you posted, even though I have not seen them in years.

Miss Janey said...

Another thing to blame on All the snarky bloggers... making sarcasm naive by comparison.

The Mistress said...

Would you like a Ding Dong for your birthday?

jason said...

a ding, or a dong, whichever.

Silly Monkey said...

I remember those. And the Garbage Pail Kids stickers. I never had to travel through snake- and nutria-filled ditches to get mine though.

Anonymous said...

hi i luv wacky packages i just got the book. do u know where i can get some new stickers n stuff, also go to http://www.lostwackys.com/