Mar 28, 2007

"A Good Man Is Hard to Find"


Here's a gratuitous link to one of my favorite short stories:

A Good Man Is Hard To Find
by Flannery O'Connor

"The grandmother didn't want to go to Florida. She wanted to visit some of her connections in east Tennessee, and she was seizing at every chance to change Bailey's mind. Bailey was the son she lived with, her only boy. He was sitting on the edge of his chair at the table, bent over the orange sports section of the Journal. "Now look here, Bailey," she said, "see here, read this," and she stood with one hand on her thin hip and the other rattling the newspaper at his bald head. "Here this fellow that calls himself The Misfit is aloose from the Federal Pen and headed toward Florida and you read here what it says he did to these people. Just you read it. I wouldn't take my children in any direction with a criminal like that aloose in it. I couldn't answer to my conscience if I did."


Read the rest here

No comments: