Aug 7, 2010

"In the pages of blue boy magazine...."




In a few hours I'll be in Biloxi seeing Cyndi Lauper.

Yes, I realize that that sentence would have been so much better if it had been written 25 years ago and we could just have collective amnesia that Biloxi even exists.

But we can't.
So, it is what it is.

I'm going because someone else backed out and there was a ticket free...and ok, what the hell else do I have to do on a Saturday night, right?

I'm just hoping I make it there in one piece. Our fearless driver is a bit too fearless, and ever since my accident a few years ago, I've been more than a bit nervous. I could drive myself, but I think he might see it as an insult not to go ride with everyone else. Anyway, as with the rest of life, I'll grit my teeth and bear it.

Speaking of Cyndi, the other night at karaoke, I killed it on "She Bop".


I'll say this much, karaoke gives you a new respect for singers. Do you know how exhausting it is to sing "she bop" etc, 2000 times?

* addendum:
She was so great in concert. She looks fabulous for her age...hell, any age...and sounds insanely good.

14 comments:

ayeM8y said...

Cyndi is the most talented singer in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!

No really I hear her live shows are excellent.

And what’s wrong with Biloxi?

Actually if it weren’t for Biloxi I probably wouldn’t get to see many shows other than the ones we put on in the barn.

You sang She Bop at Karaoke?

I hope it was gay karaoke.

Who wrote that tripe about Cyndi up above? 'Like, wow', 'dig', 'outasight' etc.

Sounds like Marcia Brady did it. All she left out was 'groovy'. At least she got one 80’s catch phrase 'totally' right.

normadesmond said...

have fun!

jason said...

gee, isn't all karaoke gay?
but I digress.

Who wrote that tripe about Cyndi? I don't know, but you're right. I suppose they were trying to be all retro back in 1984 or so.

Anyway, you need to click and enlarge that picture...to see my Halloween 2010 costume idea number 3.

Except I'll be going as Heather Henson.

ayeM8y said...

Oh my bad...I thought this was what you were wearing to the concert tonight...

Anonymous said...

She was in Atlanta for a concert yesterday. I almost bought tickets, but the show was at Chastain Ampitheatre and I didn't want to sit in 100 degree heat.

I saw her sing a couple songs at the Roxy in NYC years ago, when I was out on a long club night.

Hope you enjoy the show!

savannah said...

i'm in carpinteria, california for my son's wedding. i'm in a hotel room by myself watching "sharkweek". being in biloxi watching cyndi lauper sounds like heaven, sugar! xoxoxo

(yes, yes, i'm whining, i know. *sigh*)

ricola said...

I can't stop marveling at the awkward 80's teen makeover pic.

larry said...

lots of fun jason;-)))

mrpeenee said...

Bon voyage, baby. More odd than you being in Biloxi, is the idea of Cyndi being there. No offense to either of you.

The Mistress said...

I hope you remembered your gloves and left that mannish suit at home.

hayward said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope you didn't forget to wear an ankle bracelet as Heather suggests.

I saw her perform back when she would open for Cher. She's great.

Michael Guy said...

Ankle bracelets just seem so whore-y.

I own two.

Hope you had a blast. Ooops... Guess you did. Most excellent, dude...

Salty Miss Jill said...

Oh, fun!
I dressed up as her for Halloween when the 'She's So Unusual' Lp came out. I was ten.

Dean Grey said...

Cyndi Lauper rules!!

-Dean