1. Her "Club 55" hand mirror (free promotional gift for special
"senior citizen valued casino customers") in case "your contact comes out on the
2. Her vintage 1978 vinyl American Tourister tag, complete with her address
neatly typed out by manual typewriter.
3. A lock and key. ("People steal, you know!")
4. A miniature flashlight (a freebie from her mail order prescription
("Just in case the power goes out in the hotel. Be careful
out there! Keep your eyes open for earthquakes, you hear me?" )
5. 50 dollars...in cash...small bills ("just to be safe."), which I refused.
I tried my damnedest to refuse that flashlight too, but she just wasn't having that.
She grew even more adamant and, well, there's just no winning with your mother. You'd think I'd know that by now.
Oh, and she didn't much appreciate my laughing at her "if the power goes out in the hotel" comment either. But I couldn't help it.
So, yes, they're all coming with me.