May 22, 2006

Pomp and Circumstance

Saturday was the mayoral election day for New Orleans,
and our graduation day too.
The Mayor made a stop by on the day to say a few words, dressed in a polo shirt and running as if on a sprint. I thought it was nice of him to drop by.

All in all, this year's graduation was a very nice affair...there was no AC or anything, and it lasted nearly 3 hours....but very dignified.

It was in very sharp contrast to last year's graduation, however.
Last year, at the Mahalia Jackson Theater, all of 10 feet away from me a 200 pound woman and her date, he in a navy suit, she in a light yellow chiffon summer dress, were violently wrestled to the ground by two NOPD officers, cuffed and dragged off screaming through the aisles. (They resisted arrest, she bit the police officer...etc.)

Then the ceremony resumed.
The incident had occured right at the P's, so we had the rest of the alphabet to go.

3 comments:

Breezy said...

I can't even find the words to comment on your blog entry. I'll just leave it at that.

Anonymous said...

Man, my high school graduation and college was so boring.

Anonymous said...

Heee! From now on, I'm adopting "the P's" to refer to sitting through something you just wish would end so you could get on to more pressing things. For example: "I really wanted to sneak out of the office and hit Starbucks, but my boss was only on the P's in the staff meeting."