Jun 7, 2014

from Casablanca to Lake Pontchartrain

The other day on a complete lark some friends of mine and I decided to see the freshly renovated old Lakefront Airport Terminal.


It was New Orleans' first airport, built in the 30s.

During the cold war, after the "new" airport was built, it was turned into a fall-out shelter.  All the beautiful Deco marble was covered in concrete, from what I was told.

The renovation is still a work in progress, but it's looking lovely now.

 One could almost pretend one was Ingrid Bergman....you know, if one were so inclined.


the entrance
The main terminal

part of one of the frescoes on the balcony



Part of the compass rose on the floor.  Paris is 2700 Miles away from Lake Pontchartrain, it seems. Good to know.

a bad photo of the Walnut room.  The old bar, looking out onto the runway

the old phone booths, still no phones yet.


The lovely Art Deco fountain out front.

7 comments:

ayeM8y said...

That's gorgeous and the amount of detail. The most beautiful art deco space that I have seen in quite a while.

I'll be in the Walnut Room.

normadesmond said...

ingrid, it's gorgeous.

mrpeenee said...

If you need me, I'll be with ayeM8y in the Walnut Room. Bartender, a round of sidecars for my friends.

The Mistress said...

It's stunning!

I've traveled to New Orleans by car and by train but never by air.

I want to make another trip.

Salty Miss Jill said...

OOOOHHHH! I've never seen such a gorgeous airport!

Jon said...

Magnificent - so good that someone bothered to restore it! Jx

Jon DeepBlue said...

Yes, so good to see they didn't bulldooze it to built yet another Walmart!