Feb 8, 2010

books and music

Saturday, being at loose ends, I made my usual trip to the public library. I wonder if it's even open today. It's like a federal holiday today, right?
Anyway, here's some of my haul:


The Gore Vidal book is like a scrapbook, filled with pictures (for people like me too lazy to read). He's someone I think I'd love to have dinner with, but then afterward, I'd probably realize he was kind of a drag. You know those people? Anyway, the book is kind of like that. He was pretty cute back in the day, no?




The book about Lucia Moncenigo bored me. I just wanted a way to escape to Napoleonic era Venice for a few hours, is that asking too much? I have not been rewarded enough. It hasn't left the floor since. The only interesting thing I found out there was that the Austrians dropped bombs carried by hot air balloons in 1849. How cool is that?



Much better is Patti Smith's Just Kids, though it demands more attention. Thankfully, as you might expect, she's a great writer. Still, you know I looked at all the photos first. I can't help it.
She recounts meeting her soulmate Robert Mapplethorpe quite accidentally.

To round things out I got an old battered Fela Kuti cd, one I hadn't heard before. The case is being held by a rubber band. It's so good I'm half tempted to steal it...or at least the rubber band.






5 comments:

Michael Guy said...

Seriously look at those lips on young Gore there. He was quite the looker.

Miss Janey said...

Interesting reading...

Nate said...

fela kuti = awesome!

Elizabeth said...

I saw "Lucia" and I thought you were (re)reading Mapp & Lucia. Maybe you should!

And Gore Vidal was kinda cute, though also, I think, kind of a jerk....

Stephen said...

I am a big Gore Vidal fan, & I can't wait to read JUST KIDS, which is on my bedside table.

http://nopoboho.blogspot.com/2009/10/narcissist-is-someone-better-looking.html