Feb 5, 2013

C is not for carnival

So it's a week till Mardi Gras, but I have to admit, I'm not feeling very festive this year.

Cancer is nothing new for me. I'm sure it's not to you all either. I mean, I can't count how many relatives I've lost to it over my life. I imagine that's true for most of you as well.  But recently, in the past few months or so, the cancer news seems to be coming faster and harder than ever.
And it sucks.

To wit:

A while back I'd written about my cousin and her dire diagnosis. Thank god, she's still hanging in there, but it's been bad.

A few weeks ago, my uncle died, after a long bout with colon cancer.

Meanwhile, John's father's health has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. Cancer again.

And lastly, just a few days ago, I learned that one of my very best friends has colon cancer. It has spread to his liver. He's 35. It's quite a shock. Completely out of the blue. He began chemotherapy just yesterday.

12 comments:

normadesmond said...

sounds like you need to be strong
for those you love.

it's a bitch.

Ur-spo said...

what news; no fun, this.

Margaret said...

News like this makes us stop in our tracks.

Muscato said...

And the thing is, not to be too gloomy, once you get to a certain age (45 if you're lucky, 25 if you you're not, perhaps?), this is the way the world is. Getting the phone call, opening the e-mail, or most immediate of all, hearing it right from the doctor's mouth (the world suddenly surreal and dreamlike), it's just another thing that happens.

Each one is awful, but after a while the whole drumbeat of it all is the most upsetting.

Normas's right, though - it's our job to hold fast, so that someday, someone will for us.

Princess said...

It reminds me of another "C" word... Stay strong sweetie....

Ask the Cool Cookie said...

Hang in there but don't forsake joy. Those you love would probably do anything for a day or two of unabashed celebration of life, color and music.

I used to think that welling oneself up in the stress of the moment was the best way to be for those we love. They need our energy to get through these days, and we need all the energy we can summon. So go out and find a reason to celebrate life, for you and and for them. Carry that energy back to them. They will be grateful.

ayeM8y said...

Like Muscato said, I've begun to dread the doorbell, mailman, email and telephone calls. My brother had a massive heart attack about a week ago. He's doing better but he's only 3 years older than me. On the other hand all my 90 + neighbors are all over the place enjoying life.

Hang in there for your friend and keep in mind that you have a 50/50 chance of becoming 90 + yourself.

Nay said...

The Big C Sucks! Just scream it.

Diane said...

Oh sweetie . . .

Salty Miss Jill said...

Thinking of you, sweet Jason.

Love,
SMJ

Joseph the Butler said...

yes, be strong, and I bet you are. And you can be weak too, strength will find you again.

jason said...

thank you all.