1. I baked a pineapple upside down cake for the first time. Actually, I've baked 4 pineapple upside down cakes in the past 48 hours or so, because I just can't seem to get it right. Ahem
I tried one recipe from an Amish cookbook my father had bought back. Once upon a time, he went up to Pennsylvania Dutch country for work. I remember the postcard
of an Amish couple in a wagon, saying "Greetings from Intercourse!" he'd sent back.
I didn't get it.
Oh, and are the Amish really known for their pineapple recipes anyway? I'm confused. Anyway, I'm not giving up just yet, dammit.
2. I think I have a full fledged crush on Emma Stone, to go with my long standing crush on Julianne Moore. I'm in love with them both. She's adorable. I just hope she doesn't turn into Lindsey Lohan. That would break my heart. They're both why I want to see Crazy, Stupid Love, even though its trailer (which I'm tired of seeing) makes me actually groan. It's got to be better than this trailer, I know it, right? For some reason I know it has to be.
The end, where Ryan Gosling takes off his shirt just makes me roll my eyes so hard I think I might sprain them. But that by no means means I won't see it or anything.
4. Speaking of movies, last night we saw Captain America, which was both good and disappointing.
Why are movies sooooo long nowadays? I mean this one had what seemed like the plot line for three or four movies crammed into one. (Kind of like this lame post of mine, right?)
Anyway, every time I thought it was ending, a new story line seemed to pick up.
I liked half the movie, but then it kept going and going and going. Of course, I find myself with the same tired criticism of most movies (that they're all too long), so what do I know?
The end was blatantly a set up for the sequel, which I kind of resent. I mean even before it's out, they've already decided they're making another one...whether we like it or not. Oh, and whoever made Chris Evans (who was pretty good in it by the way) shave his whole body should be shot.
(insert gratuitous picture of Chris Evans shirtless here to keep readers awake)
4. Today at a birthday party for a 90 year old I'd never met I met a 96 year old great aunt I didn't know I had.
I also learned (by way of an 80 year old I had already met) that old people don't much like birthday parties.
"They better damned well not do this to me when I make ninety!" she tells us. Can't blame her.
5. I've been to three Targets in 24 hours. I clearly have a problem. I didn't know this new one existed until I saw an acquaintance on Facebook log in there, crowing about "there's a Starbucks here!", so, of course, I had to see it for myself. I don't even like Starbucks, but I had to see this brand spanking new Target with the Starbucks and the Pizza Hut pizza for myself. On the way home, I stopped at our two old ghetto Targets, just 'cause I could. I spent a grand total of just 10 dollars between the three, on diet coke and pineapple...which somehow makes this story both better...and sadder.